Deborah Skinner Davis
In January of 1913, South Georgia State Normal College opened in Valdosta, Georgia, with three students who paid $10 a year for tuition and $12 per month for food and board. Colonel W.S. West donated land for the campus to the state, the Georgia Senate allocated $25,000 to the school, the city of Valdosta raised $50,000, and Richard Holmes Powell was chosen as the school's first president. From this early ambitious endeavor to educate the traditionally...